Marriage and Family Therapy
Master of Science in Counseling, Option in Marriage and Family Therapy
Prospective students should seek advising from the Graduate Studies Office.
Current and admitted students will be assigned a faculty advisor.
Applying to the Program
Fall 2016 Deadline: January 15, 2016
New application for Fall 2017 coming soon...
MFT Info Session
Our next MFT information session will be on Monday 11/28/16 @ 10:00AM-12:00PM at the Anatol Center (Room AS-119). Come meet the MFT faculty and current MFT students.
Prospective students are encouraged to attend a Graduate Programs general information session.
Graduate Programs General Info Sessions
Students in this option will prepare for licensed independent MFT practice to work in private practice, community-agency settings, government-court settings, hospitals, clinics, Employee Assistance Programs, and city-county-state agencies to provide counseling services for adults, children, families and couples.
Areas of Training
- Trauma and grief work
- Spirituality and counseling
- Family systems treatment models
- Human sexuality
- Child and adolescent counseling
- Alcohol and chemical dependency
- Cross-cultural interventions
- Evidence-based treatment
- Couples and group therapy
- Clinical case formulation
- Fully accredited by WASC
- Approved by Board of Behavioral Sciences Examiner
- 2-3 year program (full-time student)
- Preparing for California State licensure as a Marriage & Family Therapist
- Outstanding multicultural clinical faculty
- No GRE required
- On-site clinic
- Live supervision
- Community practice sites
Provide training in traditional and managed-care approaches noting DSM-5 and family systems assessment/diagnosis which should result in effective treatment plans and service delivery.
Integrate research, theory, and practice in a cohesive manner that comprehensively and appropriately addresses the social, emotional, and developmental aspects of diverse populations with sensitivity and skill.
The majority of MFT graduates work for an organization (Department of Public Social Services, Children’s Protective Services, colleges, schools, hospitals, clinics, etc.) or develop their independent practice.
2015 MFT Cohort
College of Education
- CED Home
- Explore Our Programs
- About CED
- Commencement 2016
- Departments & Programs
- CED Offices
- Event Calendar
- Faculty & Staff Directory
- CED Employment Opportunities
- Research and Grants
- College Governance
- Contact Us
- Faculty and Staff Resources