Master of Arts in Education, Option in Mathematics Education
Prospective students should seek advising from the Graduate Studies Office.
Current and admitted students seek advising from Shuhua An, program coordinator.
Applying to the Program
Fall 2016 Deadline: June 1, 2016
Prospective students are encouraged to attend a Graduate Programs general information session.
Math Ed Info Sessions
Graduate Programs General Info Sessions
The Master of Arts in Education, Mathematics Education is especially designed for teachers who wish to sharpen their teaching ability in mathematics and to learn effective teaching strategies that are research-based, practical, and immediately applicable to the classroom. Candidates investigate research-based mathematics teaching and learning with a focus on developing their ability to assess the learnings needs of diverse students, support students in achieving mathematics proficiency, integrate technology in mathematics instruction, and develop a balanced mathematics instructional program that focuses on conceptual understanding, procedural fluency, and problem solving with reasoning.
Mathematics Education program provides candidates with the fundamental knowledge and skills of mathematics teaching and prepares socially responsible mathematics teacher leaders for a rapidly changing and technologically rich world. It engages candidates in research, scholarly activity, and ongoing evaluation. Finally, it helps candidates understand the value of diversity as related to the Common Core State Standards for Mathematics and prepares them for a diverse world in which they will serve and collaborate with educators and their communities.
Students will be able to:
- Describe contemporary issues in mathematics education
- Design various assessments, and interpret and use assessment results for planning and teaching mathematics
- Apply research-based instructional strategies in teaching
- Integrate contemporary technologies in mathematics planning, teaching, and assessment
- Integrate pre-algebra and algebra content and pedagogy in classrooms
- Design action research in their own teaching settings relating to mathematics education
The program prepares graduates who seek to enhance their knowledge and skills in mathematics content and pedagogy for leadership roles in mathematics education. The focus on pursuing in-depth study of effective mathematics instruction will help our graduates develop expertise as mathematics teacher-leaders
College of Education
- CED Home
- Explore Our Programs
- Convocation 2015 Dean's Remarks
- About CED
- Departments & Programs
- CED Offices
- Event Calendar
- Faculty & Staff Directory
- Research and Grants
- College Governance
- Contact Us
- Faculty and Staff Resources