Adding a Single Subject Credential to an Existing Valid Multiple Subject Credential
According to the Commission on Teacher Credentialing (CTC), candidates who hold a valid CA Preliminary Multiple Subject Teaching Credential and are seeking a Preliminary Single Subject Teaching Credential must satisfy the following requirements:
a. Verify subject-matter competence by coursework or passing all parts of the subject specific CSET exam.
b. Complete a three-semester-unit or four-quarter-unit course in curriculum and methodology; at CSULB this course is EDSS 450 - Curriculum and Methods in Teaching(subject specific).
c. Submit a completed application packet and processing fee to CTC.
In order to enroll in EDSS 450 you must first show subject matter competency in your area. Once this is completed, bring the following to the Single Subject Credential Program office, ED1-67:
- Copy of your Multiple Subject Credential
- Copy of your Subject Matter Competency, passing CSET scores or waiver letter.
- A letter requesting permission to enroll in EDSS 450.
Once these materials are submitted you will be issued a Blue Card, which will allow you to take the course if there is space for you in the class. Take your card to the first day of instruction and ask the professor to add you. If you are not a current CSULB student you will need to enroll in the course through Open University (562-985-5561).
- SSCP Home
- SSCP Admissions
- SSCP Subject Programs
- SSCP Subject Area Faculty Advisors
- SSCP Courses
- SSCP Fieldwork
- SSCP Information Meetings
- SSCP Student Teaching Application Meetings
- SSCP Student Teaching
- SSCP Internships
- SSCP Policies
- EDSS 300 Presentations
- Documents & Forms
- Certificate of Clearance Instructions
- Subject Matter Waiver Evaluations
- Supervisors' Corner
- Adding a Single Subject Credential to an Existing Valid Multiple Subject Credential
- Tests & Assessments
- CA Credential Requirements
- Faculty & Staff
- Event Calendar
- Teacher Preparation Advising Center (TPAC)
College of Education
- CED Home
- Prospective Students
- About CED
- Departments & Programs
- CED Offices
- Event Calendar
- Faculty & Staff Directory
- Faculty Research
- College Governance
- Contact Us
- Faculty and Staff Resources