Certificate of Clearance Instructions
Before being admitted to the credential program, all individuals must obtain either a Certificate of Clearance (CTC fingerprint clearance) or hold a credential, certificate or permit issued by the Commission on Teacher Credentialing (CTC). The Certificate of Clearance requires both fingerprint clearance and completion of the Personal and Professional Fitness questions.
Online Application for Certificate of Clearance
Certificates of Clearance are issued by the Commission on Teacher Credentialing (CTC) to credential program candidates. Title 5 regulations require that an application for Certificate of Clearance be filed to determine whether or not a candidate meets the state standards for character and fitness to teach in California’s public schools. To apply for a Certificate of Clearance Online, follow Steps 1 through 3 below. If you have any questions regarding these instructions, contact the Credential Center at (562) 985-4109, or email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Go to: www.ctc.ca.gov
Under the Educators tab located at the top of the page:
- Select Application, Forms, Leaflets, and Manuals.
- Select Application, Forms and Leaflets.
- Select Live Scan Service Request Form 41-LS. (The Commission has recently been notified that the Live Scan Form 41-LS does not prepopulate the first two sections of the form when using some web browsers. Individuals should open the form using Acrobat which will populate the form correctly).
- Complete the third section and print 3 copies to take to your Live Scan appointment.
- Take the Live Scan Forms to an agency providing fingerprinting services. For all California locations, including the CSULB University Police Department, go to http://ag.ca.gov/fingerprints/publications/contact.php. Your fingerprints will be transmitted electronically to the Department of Justice (DOJ), Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) and the Commission on Teacher Credentialing (CTC).
Before you begin:
- You must use one of the following browsers: Firefox, Chrome, or Internet Explorer
- It is advisable to make popup windows an exception to the CTC webpage instead of turning them off. http://www.ctc.ca.gov/tech-help.html - popupblocker. Make sure the following addresses are allowed by your pop-up blocker:
- Go to: www.ctc.ca.gov
- Select the Online Services for Educators button.
- Click on the Educator Page button.
- Create/log in to your personal profile on the secure Educator Page using your social security number and date of birth. If creating a new profile, you will need to enter this information twice.
- Click on the Create Person button and enter your information and click Save. Click the New button to enter your address, Save and click on the Next button in the lower right-hand corner.
- Under Web Applications click Create New.
- Using the drop-down arrow under General Application Category select Certificate of Clearance/Activity Supervisor.
- Using the drop-down arrow again under Document/Authorization Title select Certificate of Clearance, click Next in the lower right-hand corner.
- Continue to follow the instructions. Answer all Professional Fitness Questions, a new window will popup requesting payment for your certificate.
- When you have completed both Step 1 and Step 2 you have successfully filed a Certificate of Clearance application. Continue to Step 3.
If you need additional help please view the CTC’s Certificate of Clearance Tips. http://www.ctc.ca.gov/credentials/online-services/pdf/cc-tips.pdf
Approximately two to four weeks after filing your Certificate of Clearance application, you can monitor your status online.
To monitor your application online:
- Go to: www.ctc.ca.gov
- Select the Online Services for Educators button. Click on the Educator Page button. Enter your social security number and date of birth. Click Next.
- You should see your Certificate of Clearance under Document.
- Print and submit a copy of the page that includes your issuance date and document number with your credential application. The Certificate of Clearance is valid for five years.
For a printable version of these instructions please download the document below:
- SSCP Home
- SSCP Admissions
- SSCP Subject Programs
- SSCP Courses
- SSCP Fieldwork Sites
- SSCP Information Meetings
- SSCP Student Teaching
- SSCP Policies
- SSCP Orientation
- Documents & Forms
- Certificate of Clearance Instructions
- Subject Matter Waiver Evaluations
- Supervisors' Corner
- Adding an Additional Credential
- Tests & Assessments
- CA Credential Requirements
- Teacher Preparation Advising Center (TPAC)
College of Education
- CED Home
- Explore Our Programs
- Convocation 2015 Dean's Remarks
- About CED
- Departments & Programs
- CED Offices
- Event Calendar
- Faculty & Staff Directory
- Research and Grants
- College Governance
- Contact Us
- Faculty and Staff Resources