Reading and Language Arts
This unique program offers graduate students three-in-one: a California Reading Certificate, a Reading Specialist Credential, and a Master’s Degree in Education. The Master’s Degree in Elementary Education/Secondary Education (including the Reading Certificate Program and the Reading and Language Arts Specialist Credential Program) is 30-33 units in advanced study of literacy development, reading/language arts instructional and assessment practices, leadership and supervision, technology, and diagnosis and intervention. The scholarship is grounded in current research, best practices, and your school setting.
- Reading Certificate Program (12 units/4 courses)
- Reading and Language Arts Specialist Credential Program (15 units/5 courses)
- Master of Arts in Education Program (12 units + 15 units + 3 units of comprehensive exam or 6 units of thesis)
Courses in the Reading Certificate Program are prerequisite for the Reading and Language Arts Specialist Credential Program. Courses in the Reading and Language Arts Specialist Credential Program are prerequisites for the Master's Program.
The program with 30-33 units will take two (2) years to complete, including a summer session.
- 6 units (2 classes) per semester, and 2 courses in summer
- Classes held on campus at CSULB two evenings a week, usually starting at about 4:00pm
- Selected classes presented via a web-based hybrid format
The program prepares graduates who seek to add to their professional credentials, expertise, and standing within their school districts in the areas of reading/language arts. Our graduates have become instructional leaders, literacy coaches, K-12 specialists in public and private schools, National Board Certified teachers, instructors at community colleges, and Ph.D./Ed.D candidates.
For information and assistance, please contact program coordinator:
Shelley Xu, Ed.D.
California State University, Long Beach
Department of Teacher Education
College of Education
- CED Home
- Prospective Students
- About CED
- Departments & Programs
- CED Offices
- Event Calendar
- Faculty & Staff Directory
- Faculty Research
- College Governance
- Contact Us
- Faculty and Staff Resources