Text Size:

Printer-friendly versionSend by email

World Languages: LOTE

The World Languages: LOTE teaching credential enables you to teach elementary, middle school, and high school world language classes in California public schools. The credential has two major parts - subject matter (the language other than English of your choice) and pedagogy (teacher preparation courses). In order to demonstrate subject matter competency you must either complete a Commission-approved program or pass the appropriate CSET examinations.

At CSULB, there are five Commission-approved subject-matter programs in Languages Other Than English: French, German, Italian, Latin, and Spanish. Nevertheless, candidates who wish to become credentialed in a language other than these five subjects may also demonstrate subject matter competence by passing the CSET Exams in Arabic, Japanese,  Korean, ASL and Mandarin and qualify for the credential program.

The professional preparation program will help you learn how to teach in a pluralistic society. In these courses you will learn about teaching methodology, curriculum design, assessment and evaluation of student progress, and classroom management. You will also learn about today's schools and how you can most effectively impact the diversity of students you will find there.  

Besides completing the subject matter requirements and the professional preparation program, all credential candidates must complete a Bachelor's Degree, pass the California Basic Skills Test (CBEST), and meet the US Constitution requirement.

Prior to enrolling, all candidates should visit the LOTE Credential Coordinator and Subject Matter Advisor at the earliest possible date to create a program plan.

For more information about the Single Subject Credential Program (overview, courses, credential requirements), please visit our SS website: SSCP

All California teachers must pass the CBEST. This is a basic skills exam consisting of Reading, Writing and Math. We encourage you to take and pass this before enrolling in our program. An added advantage to passing it prior to enrollment is that with the CBEST and a BA, you will qualify for substitute teaching in almost any district in Southern California. According to our program graduates, substitute teaching is the best way to prepare for successful student teaching. There are also other ways to fulfill the Basic Skillls Requirement. See link below for all options.

Click here for information and testing dates for the CBEST:  CBEST

If you have earned a BA in Spanish, French, Italian, German or Latin at CSULB, you will meet Calfifornia Subject Matter Competency via a CSET Waiver.  If you do not have one of these BA degrees, it is likely that you will need to take the CSET exam in your language. Note that we can only provide waivers for students who graduate from our programs or have equivilent coursework. Read more about these tests here: CSET

For information about enrollment and tuition, please visit these CSULB websites:  TUITION  ENROLLMENT

Please contact me to set up an appointment to plan your path toward a single subject credential.


By appointment:

Tuesdays & Wednesdays

12:00 - 3:00

Cynthia Leathers

Single Subject Credential Advisor/Coordinator

World Languages: LOTE
Need assistance when I am not available? Visit the Teacher Preparation Advising Center: TPAC
For information about jobs, workshops and news about world languages, visit the LOTE Facebook page:  FACEBOOK

For more information about the language programs ....


How long does it take to complete the credential program?

A full-time student can complete the entire program including student teaching in three semesters. Many students choose a slower path,  and four semesters is often the choice. We will work with you to create a course plan that fits with your schedule.

What is student teaching like?

During student teaching you will be in charge of three classes (usually at a high school) under the supervision of one or two master teachers. You will plan and deliver lessons, assess progress, assign grades, meet with parents and counselors and perform most of the duties of the regular teacher. A university supervisor will visit and coach you during the semester and you will attend one class, EDSS 473, a student teacher seminar. You will also complete two TPAs during your student teaching.

What are TPAs?

Teaching Performance Assessments are state mandated projects you must complete to earn your credential. 

When can I attend an information meeting to learn more about the SSCP?

We offer monthly meetings. The schedule is available here: TPAC

How much does it cost to earn a credential?

See TUITION link above.

How do I apply to CSULB for the Single Subject Credential Program (SSCP)? 

The application process is fairly simple. First apply to CSULB . When you are enrolled in the EDSS 300F class, you will begin compiling a portfolio for application to the SSCP. Your 300 instructor will guide your through this.

When is the enrollment deadline?

To enroll in Fall semester, you must be enrolled by June 1. For spring the deadline is November 1. See the ENROLLMENT link above to confirm deadlines for the desired semester and obtain more information.

Will I be paid for student teaching?

No. There is no compensation for student teaching.

I already have a credential and would like to add on a world language. How is that done?

It is easy to add a language if you have a credential in another language (French credenial, add Spanish for instance). You need only prove subject matter proficiency via the CSET exam or coursework. You may also add a world language to an existing multiple or single subject credential. You need to show subject matter proficiency and then take EDSS 450F. Please contact me if you would like to set this up. We need CSET scores or a waiver before we can approve enrollment in EDSS 450.

I have taken some courses in French but not enough to get a waiver. Could I take one or two CSET exams in combination with the coursework to meet subject matter competency?

No. You must meet SMC via the CSET or coursework, but not via a combination of the two.

last updated — Oct 11, 2017