Dual Language Development
Master of Arts in Education, Option in Dual Language Development
Applying to the Program
Prospective applicants are encouraged to email Prof. Trini Lewis (email@example.com) to schedule an appointment for learning more about the DLD Master Degree Program.
Spring 2016: November 1, 2015
Fall 2016: June 1, 2016
International Applicant Deadlines:
Spring 2016: October 1, 2015
Fall 2016: April 1, 2016
Current and admitted students seek advising from Trini Lewis, program coordinator.
DLD Info Sessions
Graduate Programs General Info Sessions
CSULB opened doors for me and my commitment for working with English learners and bilingual students.
-Bonnie Bishop, Consultant, Center for Accelerated Learning
Our interdisciplinary program examines the literacy and language development of native English speakers, bilingual speakers, English learners, and/or speakers of non-standard English in grades K-12, including adult education. Literacy and language issues are examined within a global context.
Our unique program features include:
- Courses meet only 1 day a week.
- Hybrid instructional delivery model of online and in class sessions.
- Fully admitted DLD graduate students who are employed as full-time teachers are eligible for tuition funding through the Teach Grant Program.
- 3-6 units (and in some cases 9 units) of semester credit can be applied from ta eaching credential and TESOL programs towards the required 30 units, thus only 8 classes are typically needed for credential students.
- A customized program of our course content can be designed to meet a school district's professional development needs.
- Collaboration with faculty on professional projects specializing in literacy, linguistics, language development, second language acquisition, and English learners.
DLD Master Degree, Credential & TESOL Programs
It is possible to pursue a teaching credential and our master degree program simultaneously with all of the requirements completed within a two-year period. Applicants should demonstrate a second language proficiency, or have completed 6 units of language study, or equivalent. Our program works closely with the Spanish and Asian bilingual authorization credential programs. For additional information regarding the Spanish or Asian bilingual authorization credential (BILA), please visit the BILA website at http://www.ced.csulb.edu/credentials/bilingual-authorization-bila
Who Should Apply?
Our master degree is a 30 unit (10 classes) program designed for those who have a Bachelor of Arts degree, a teaching credential, or are pursuing a CSULB teaching credential. If you don't hold a teaching credential, then it is important to have experiences related to our specialization.
Our applicants also speak a variety of languages including Arabic, French, Italian, Korean, Spanish, Mandarin, Cantonese, Vietnamese, and Tagalog. Please contact Dr. Trini Lewis, DLD Coordinator, for additional information.
DLD Graduates' Professional Positions
Additionally, our graduates are highly sought experts and enter professions such as classroom teachers, curriculum specialists, staff developers, and teacher educators. Our graduates are employed in school districts such as San Diego, San Francisco, Garden Grove, Pasadena, Westminster, Los Angeles, Long Beach, Palm Springs, Torrance, Montebello, Anaheim, and Anaheim Union. DLD graduates are also consultants, or hold related positions in the private sector. Other DLD graduates have obtained work overseas in Japan, China, Taiwan, and Spain. Some also pursue doctorate degrees in higher education and/or work at community colleges and universities.
Dr. Trini Lewis
DLD Program Coordinator
California State University, Long Beach
Department of Teacher Education
1250 Bellflower Blvd, MS 2201
Long Beach, CA 90806-2201
Preferred contact method is email
Office Location: ED2-256
Dual Language Development
- Dual Language Development Home
- Application Process
- Dual Language Development Program Description
- Dual Language Development Course Descriptions
- Where Are We Located? CSULB Campus Maps
- Dual Language Development - Our Impact!
- Tuition, Grants, and Loans
- Documents and Forms
- Faculty & Staff
- Event Calendar
College of Education
- CED Home
- Explore Our Programs
- About CED
- Commencement 2016
- Departments & Programs
- CED Offices
- Event Calendar
- Faculty & Staff Directory
- CED Employment Opportunities
- Research and Grants
- College Governance
- Contact Us
- Faculty and Staff Resources